The first step to getting a job is to have a good interview. People can get so focused on getting an offer and getting hired that they get overwhelmed by the interview process and are unsure what to focus on. Follow this list to get a better idea of what to focus on after securing an interview.
What to bring:
- Several copies of your resume: You might not need them, but it’s always good to have them in case the interviewer hasn’t printed any off. You may also want to add a few copies of references just in case.
- A professional bag: You’ll probably want to have a few items (like the aforementioned resume), and having a professional-looking bag is a good first impression.
- Pen and a notebook: You may want to take notes if the interview process is lengthy and involves several people.
- Portfolio or work samples: If you have examples of the work you’ve done in the past, it may be helpful to have this on hand to refer to during the conversation.
What to do:
- Reread the job description and go over what you’ve learned about the company: You likely reviewed this during the application and maybe after the phone call to schedule an interview, but make sure you are extremely comfortable and familiar with these details. This may even include checking out the social media presence to get a feel for the values and culture of the organization.
- Review and brush up on your skills: Know what you bring to the table, and consider adding to your skillset as you job search. Candidates need to stay current with tech trends to manage career options, as clients are increasingly looking at specific technical skills to complement other skills and experience.
your answers and your questions: Thinking about how you want to answer the most
common questions is important. Some of the best questions to have solid answers
- Strengths and weakness
- Why do you want this job?
- Why are you leaving your current position?
- How do you handle stress and deadlines?
- What are some examples of leadership you’ve displayed in your career?
You’ll also want to make sure you have some questions prepared to ask the interviewer to get more information about if the job is a good fit and to express sincere interest.
Ultimately, changing your perspective to having a successful interview over securing an offer helps you focus on the right things that will make it much more likely that an offer does come in
If you’re looking for your next position, give us a call. We can help connect you with businesses looking for candidates like you and even provide you with insight into how to interview with the organization. Contact us today.