5 Important Skills Needed to Be Successful in Supply Chain Management
Logistical and supply chain professionals are foundational to the success of many organizations, and their performance is often linked to company profitability. These teams are relied on to get a company’s product from one place to another, across industries, meaning that businesses all across the globe depend on the successful execution of their responsibilities to ensure customer and stakeholder satisfaction.
With the continued growth of global business and trade, the demand for supply chain talent isn’t likely to see a slowdown in the near future. Here’s what to focus on to grow a successful career in supply chain management.
- Analytical skills: The most successful supply chain managers have a love of and understanding of numbers, statistics, and logic. These traits help to support growth in a job that heavily relies on forecasting and planning.
- Business acumen: Some of the most basic business skills are effective communication skills and the ability to work with the technological tools involved in the job effectively. Business acumen also means looking out for the business as a whole instead of just the day to day job responsibilities. Successful supply chain managers are always able to identify processes that can improve the business or create efficiencies that contribute to profitability.
- Negotiating: Supply chain management professionals might need strong negotiation, the first being that working with retailers and suppliers means needing to be able to obtain the best pricing for employers. It’s also important to be able to negotiate in the event of finding win-win solutions for the inevitable supply chain management mishaps, like missed deliveries, incorrect orders, late shipments, and more.
- Problem-solving: Supply chain management involves coordinating endless-seeming factors and there are often circumstances that, even when well-planned for, can go awry. It’s important to be able to think on your feet to know how to work the problem and figure out how to move forward.
- Willingness to learn: Supply chain management, transportation, technology, and logistics are always changing. The most successful supply chain professionals don’t just acknowledge change, they embrace it as a part of growth.
Honing and refining your supply chain skills can help you grow a successful career in an industry that continues to require top talent. If you’re looking for your next career move, contact us today. Our expert team at TalentSphere Staffing Solutions has years of supply chain staffing and can help you find your next role today.